Sunday, August 12, 2007

Apricot Blackberry Galette

There is a wild apricot tree that grows on an irigation ditch on my dads property. The apricots were ripe so it was the perfect time to bake something with apricots. I decided I wanted to make the Apricot Blackberry Galette on page 226 in the MSBH. I made the crust the night before. It gave me the opportunity to use my brand new Kitchen Aid Food Processor. Having never used a food processor in my life it took a little while to figure it all out. It came with all sorts of blades and bowls. After getting all of the correct attachments in place I must say I loved it! I am so excited to start making pie and tart dough with it.



The dough is a Cornmeal Pate Brisee. The dough included cornmeal which I thought was strange but it seemed to make it really soft and easy to roll out. The recipe I used was enough for 2 large galettes or you could freeze half of the dough for up to three weeks.



The filling for the galette was so easy to make it was just sugar, lemons, huge fresh juicy blackberries from costco, apricots, and a little cornstarch and an egg wash. I used all of the dough making 1 large and 2 small galettes.








The finished product was a little bit messy but delicious. I really liked this because it was not too sweet and the crust had a really interesting flavor. It was so easy to make and the filling could easily be changed out depending on which type of fruit is available. This was one of my favorite recipes and I will make again!

This day was really apricot day......I made about 50 jars of apricot, strawberry and apricot blackberry jam.

No comments: