Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Candied Bacon Cashews



I tore this recipe out of the Southwest airlines inflight magazine this summer. The recipe is from Colin Lynch the executive chef at Drink in Boston.
I finally had time to try it out this week and I loved it.

Candied Bacon Cashews-
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1 1/4 pound raw cashews
1/4 cup cooked diced bacon -this was 3 slices - I think when I make it again I would add more.
half the bacon fat from cooking - this was 1 ounce
1 tablespoon cold butter
smoked salt - I used hickory smoked sea salt from williams sonoma

1- Combine suagr and water in a saucepan and heat until boiling.
Add the cashews and stir continuously. Use a pastry bruch to occasionally wipe the inside of the pot. When I make this again I need to pay more attntion to thiis. My sugar did crystalize a bit but they were still delicious.
2- When the water evaporates and the sugar is caramelized, stir in the bacon. Turn off the heat and add the bacon fat and the butter and the smoked salt to taste. Transfer to a greased cookie sheet to cool, the break apart.