Friday, May 2, 2008

I Resolve.....

I picked up the May issue of Elle magazine while at the airport in Memphis. I just got around to reading it last night before going to bed. It is the "green" issue and the guest editor is activist Laurie David. In the letter from the editor she wrote about a conversation she had with NASA scientist James Hansen, he said we had only 10 years to reduce carbon emissions before irreversible consequences took place and that was three years ago....yikes. Needless to say this is not the type of stuff I should read before going to bed. As I was tossing and turning I thought about a conversation I had with my smart cousin Tiffany who has given up buying bottled water because of the environmental impact (a little bit about the environmental and health concerns here ). Tiffany has inspired me to give up one of my favorite things in the whole world.......
Diet Pepsi in a plastic bottle that was made using petroleum and will take 1000 years to biodegrade. Yummm good stuff.
So I have been buying diet pepsi in a can and I am not loving it. Why? I think it all comes down to one word Carbonation! Nothing beats the carbonation in bottled diet pepsi.
So this weekend I am giving up soda and I am going to start drinking water out of one of these totally cool metal water bottles made by our Swiss friends at SIGG


Or one of these from Pottery Barn


StopGlobalWarming.org







3 comments:

Tiffany said...

Good Job Nicky for giving up plastic bottles. I have two goals set for me now too: NO MORE paper plates, cups or bowls. I will just have to get use to doing the dishes!! AND I am also going to give up soda. I want to go buy a really cool bottle for my water too!!!

This is Us! said...

You are so good Nicky. I was wondering if you are going to post the pics from dinner last week. I want to see them, or email them to me.

Holly said...

Sigg bottles are the best! I have been using them for years and I gave each member of my family their own special bottle last year for Christmas. Definitely buy one for yourself.

Bottled water does more harm than good. It is causing significant strains on the environment in many ways. The money spent on bottled water should go towards improving our municipal water supply.

I am proud of you NIcky!